Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Loving Lucy...Part II

About a month ago, I couldn't get a hold of Lucy. Every time I would call her, there would be no answer. For a 92 year old, you can imagine she doesn't get out a whole lot. With an abundant amount of naivete, I figured that I was missing her each time I called. How odd. Well, the "realistic" Chersten kicked in about the third time I called Lucy and she didn't answer. Something must have happened. I tried neighbors. I tried family. I even tried the obituaries. Nothing. I finally got a hold of an acquaintance and found out that Lucy had been put in a rest home...forgive me...a "retirement" center. I was shocked. Lucy is not the "retirement center" kind of gal. She thrives at home. She loves home. I went to visit her that day. When I walked into the room, I saw bits and pieces of her home...a nightstand, her brown couch, and the picture of her deceased daughter. When Lucy came out of her room, there was something missing. I realized that part of her had faded with the home she no longer occupied.

You see, Lucy is her flowers. Lucy is that can of pepsi hiding in her fridge. Lucy is the smile behind the tear. Lucy is the pictures of family and friends on her fridge. Lucy is the vacumm that you have to hold just a certain way in order for it to work. Lucy is the little black cat that comes each time she opens the door to take out the trash. Lucy is the sweet quotes all over her home. So what happens when these seemingly meaningless things are taken away? Part of Lucy is gone.

I visited her again a few days ago. After the visit, I felt sad as I walked down the long hall from her room.

I blinked back tears as I heard a t.v. blaring, ironically, I Love Lucy.


7 comments:

Becky said...

oh how sad. :(

I am glad you still visit her. I hope you aren't the only one!

Why did she go? Is she needing more company? Is she getting it there?

ashley said...

Oh Cherst, I am sad for Lucy too! Your tributes to her are so touching and I am so happy that she has someone as amazing as you to love and care about her, but "retirement centers" are quite dismal places. There's just nothing like being HOME! I hope she can find some happiness in her current situation!

Mandi said...

Hi Chersten, I hope you don't mind that I found your blog. I got it from, well, a long list actually. Even if you tell me to stay away, I'm so glad to have had this little glimpse into your life. You have always been such a model of a righteous woman, and I've been touched by you. So, if you're interested, come visit me at web.mac.com/film.mark
Cheers,
Mandi (Morley) Ellsworth

Chersten said...

Mandy!! So glad to have you aboard. It is so good to hear from you. What is going on in your life? Email me. jctwright@msn.com Cherst

Carolina said...

You probably brighten up that retirement center immeasurably. I hope I have friends like you when I'm old and lonely.

Knudsen Family said...

Chersten,
Hey how are you? I just wanted you to know that I've set my blog to be private. I just didn't want you to think that I blocked you or anything. It's fun seeing how your family is changing. Just e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll add you to my list. dsknudsen@yahoo.com
Sondra

Kelly Ledward said...

You got me crying. All of your posts about her remind me of my sweet Grandma. She was the same. Even down to the quotes. When she passed away I helped clean out the house, and got the privilege of going through some of her things. She too laughed a lot and loved flowers. I'm sure sweet Lucy is so grateful for your friendship, and even though a piece of her is missing because of where she is, I am sure she would agree (with my Grandma) that "things don't matter. . .people do" and your friendship means more to her than missing those things. (I hope this made sense?)
~ hugs Kell