Monday, August 18, 2008

Carrying on the Tradition




Do you ever find yourself doing the same things for your kids that you did when you were a kid just because of the good memories? I found myself in this situation. I remember when I was 6 my mom had a luncheon for my friends and me as a going-to-school-aren't-I-big event. I remember the glass teddy bear cookie jar that she had on the table but the feeling that had transcended through time is that of feeling so special and that going to school was such a treat. Well, I missed Taelor's Kindergarten and 1st grade years, but this year (today in fact) we had a "back to school bash", an end of the summer extravaganza if you will. Taelor and I spent time making less than perfect invites and planning the party. We decided on luscious mac and cheese, mandarin oranges, and lemonade. We had a slip n' slide and a pool. I took pictures of the kids and then we had a slide show on the computer. We ended the time with cupcakes and a present (notebook, glue, pencils, and crayons). Taelor may not remember this 20 years from now, but it was sure fun to do something for him that my mom did for me. Thanks mom!!






Take special note of the bunny ears...

Taelor was less than thrilled!!

8 comments:

Allred Family said...

It's interesting to me that such a small thing (going to school lunch party) can make such a good memory that you wanted to do it for your own child. I love the pictures. Tae-bug, have a great 2nd grade year. I'm so proud of you. Love you all. Mom and Grandma

Marcy said...

I'm so glad you posted about this! I still remember when we got a picnic lunch and went up to Bridal Veil Falls--it was your mom and Heather and us. I thought that was so great and out of the ordinary! I need to be a little more of a "party" mom.

Carolina said...

So cute. This is the type of thing that I really hope I'll have the time and patience for when Alex gets older. My parents had big bashes for us on our birthdays, with pinatas, cakes, music, etc., and I have very fond memories of those parties.

Becky said...

That's very fun...I can't believe he's in SECOND GRADE.
I loved seeing you the other day. Your just as darling as you've always been. I have forgotten how fun you are.
Glad you are using your blog.
Becky

Ashley said...

SO cute!! What a great idea; I'll have to remember this one! We didn't do stuff like that much when I was a kid so I don't often think to do fun little things for my kids. That's why I'm friends with cool people like YOU! You're a great Mom following in some great footsteps!

Knudsen Family said...

You are such a fun Mom! It's crazy that our boys are in 2nd grade already. You always had such fun ideas and you were so creative, so it doesn't surprise me that you would pull off such a fun party for Taelor! He is so lucky!

Mike and Adrianne said...

What a fun tradition. I am sure he will always remember this!

Hickman Family said...

Love your blog, and it really is soooo cute!! Thanks for all your help with ours!